Why are Hate crimes committed?

Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Many people in this harsh world are faced by hatred among the people of their country. This hatred may started out as a simple glare. Continuing on to a sudden change in behaviour. Which in most cases leads people to taking a huge step. This huge step is which is done by some people of the community is called a hate crime. This hate crime is just among the first steps that lead others to follow through into doing the same. As it becomes acceptable by society for them them to continue. However, these hate crimes have a huge impact on the victims. Unless society becomes more acceptable and loving towards these people, hate crimes will continue to happen.

Hate crimes are defined as any incident or crime that is directed towards the victim because of the hostility and prejudice against a group of people. There are many types of hate crimes that occur in many areas of the world.

In the eyes of the victim nothing scares a person more than being targeted by a person that is anonymous. This constant targeting faced by a social group in which the show of hatred is evident are known as hate. This happens in many countries around the world and continues to happen as no serious action is taken against it, especially in western countries. Where victims are mainly not valued by the majority of society and suffer the consequences of this devaluation.

These crimes are directed to people who are socially excluded from society based on the bias opinion present in the majority. This leads to certain people being devalued by society. People that are devalued in society are the main predators for a hate crime. This is because society already devalues these people and making a hate crime against them will be more acceptable by the majority . The other reason for making these people the main victims for hate crimes is due to the fact that they are vulnerable. This makes the hate crime easier to fulfill as vulnerable people will be easily broken.Now the sole purpose of these hate crimes is to scare and break the victim along with the community that they belong to. By sending a message to the community that they do not belong in this society or are hated by society and they scare the person even more. Now these messages are mainly messages that are extreme on a scale of being anti someone or something. Leading the victim to feel even more devalued in society and broken down. Fulfilling the purpose of the hate crime.

The effect on the victims
The data revealed on hate crimes depends on the crime reported to the police. In this case, many victims fail to report this crime leaving it unattended. In the recent report of 2008, the evidence revealed that majority of hate crimes are not based off of physical violence. The majority of hate crimes lie in verbal abuse, assaults and criminal damage. What makes this type of crime stand out is that this type of crime hurts the victim . The effects of these hate crimes present a high threat to physical and psychological safety of the victim. The signs of psychological stress include symptoms of excessive stress that include physical, emotional and cognitive behavior. This is how this crime not only physically hurting the victim but also hurting the identity of the victim.

http://cilvektiesibas.org.lv/site/attachments/30/01/2012/Naida_noziegums_ENG_cietusajiem_Internetam.pdf
http://www.apa.org/advocacy/interpersonal-violence/hate-crimes.aspx

6 thoughts on “Why are Hate crimes committed?

1. Zubia!

To write a piece about a topic as serious as hate crimes is something that I have to applaud you for. Many people wouldn’t want to touch this topic in fear of being controversial and to write a piece about it (and do it incredibly well) is amazing. Thank you so much for writing about this and spreading awareness.

I think that if you gave a bit more focus to some of the aspects that you would improve the power that it held. Other than that, you did a phenomenal job at this!

fighting!
    Chloe

1. Dear Chloe,
      Thank you for reading my blog!
      I wanted to make this feature article about spreading awareness about how hate crimes start and effect victims.For that reason,I did not focus on certain aspects as they would lead into more serious topics. However, I would like to know what topics you would like me to focus on.

Thank you,
      Zubia

2. Zubia,

This was the first piece I read written by you, and I think you are such a beautiful writer! This piece beautifully captured the essence of feeling singled out and the confusion and pain behind hate crimes. Thank you for really showing the controversial topic and writing about it so amazingly!

For improvements, all I can really say is to give it possibly a personal aspect to it, just to tie readers in! Even without it, you have captured everything beautifully!

I cannot wait to read more of your writing and hope you share more of your writing in class!

Alyna:)

1. Dear Alyna,
      Thank you for reading my blog!
      I will try to add a personal aspect to it.

Thank you,
      Zubia Zeb

3. Dear Zubia,

This is such a wonderful piece to portray! This is my first time looking into your writing or even knowing that you write and I just had to say it left me with my jaw wide open. Emotion is described so beautifully and confidence is a major key that uplifts the significance of it. It gives another perspective to be looked upon and the reason as to why hate crimes started in the first place.

One thing to improve is putting a personal opinion over the matter and looking upon the reason why it is looked to you as something meaningful. To put that aside, I hope you continue to write the best you can and look further into your pieces in the future.

Sincerely, Zainab.K